Entrepreneurship no image

Published on September 12th, 2010 | by Olumide

2

5 Ways to Get Employed and Stay Employed

A very large number of people are unemployed in our society. Here are a few tips on how they can overcome the scourge of unemployment:

1. Be an asset: Guess what? Not everyone is an asset. In fact, going by the 90/10 rule, just about 10 percent of the people in the average place are responsible for 90 percent of what happens. In my country Nigeria for example, much less than 10 percent of the population determines what happens to the masses- the remaining 90 percent. The interesting thing is that the masses spend all their time complaining about the actions and inactions of the assets but rarely take matters into their own hands.

So it stands to reason that even when a crowd is interested in a job, employers would struggle to employ a true asset. After all, they are in very short supply!

2. Have a Great CV: Your CV unfortunately, is not just what you write on paper but who you are. If anyone speaks to you within 30 minutes, the person forms an impression about you. That impression is your real CV. You can’t hide it on the long run and that is why it is very important that you work on who you are. Form good working habits. Be truthful, honest and resourceful. Be an excellent worker to have. Then package all that on paper.

A great way to show you are who you claim to be is to have good qualifications. So maximize all opportunities and be well certified for whatever you can do. The purpose of the CV really is to provide evidence that you can do what you can do, so you stand a better chance if you have a well recognized certificate. Besides, show that you are vast. Let the potential employer know your skills which may not necessarily be work-related. If you have good musical, writing, talking, dancing… skills, mention it (and attach evidence).

3. Don’t be boring! Even very boring people are turned on when they meet very interesting people. If you carry an interesting personality, there is a good chance that you will attract a job. Don’t be too serious when completing forms, answering interview questions, meeting people… I don’t mean that you portray the impression of being a clown if you are not. I also don’t mean that you should look like a fool in the name of being funny. But display a basic sense of control by using good and moderate humour.

4. Start Doing Something: A problem many people have is that they prefer to wait for their dream job even when it is not forthcoming. I don’t support settling for less, but I believe that if you are idle, you don’t deserve to eat. Find something to do. It may be attending an extra training session, going back to school or even taking a temporary job. You know that that is not where you are going. But if you start somewhere, there is a good chance that you will go far and end up where you want.

5. If you still don’t get a job, start your own! Okay, that’s not easy. How will you get capital? How about the required skills? If I can’t even get a job, how can I succeed as an entrepreneur?

I won’t pretend that entrepreneurship is for everyone. But I do know that it is possible to start from almost nothing and build a colossus. I have written a post about how you can do this known as Grass to Grace and it is the story of a Nigerian businessman who started from scratch because he could not get a job. You can also join the Money Makers’ Forum for job listings, advice about entrepreneurship, business tips and many more. It’s free!

Share This Post


About the Author



2 Responses to 5 Ways to Get Employed and Stay Employed

  1. Hey, thanx.It’s really a cool one

  2. titilope adeyeba says:

    Hey. Nice one. I’m inspired!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑